Wednesday, July 11, 2012

In Which I Ramble About Concrete Training Plans

For the last week I've been waking up 1.5 hours earlier than I normally do, against my will.  I know most people in the world get up at or before 6:45am, but I don't.  So seven days in a row of waking up at almost exactly that time, for no reason I could figure out, was kind of awful.  And ruining my life.

The up side is, I made it to 7:30am today!  The down side is, I woke up at least 4 times that I remember and at least 7 times according to my heart rate monitor.  So it was still shittastic sleep.

I feel like this, paired with crummy eating and nervousness about living up to my trainer's running expectations, has led to the last few days of shitty or skipped runs. 

Which brings me to:

Monday: 

Biked 14.58 miles
Finally got my tires filled up properly, and what a difference that makes
Skipped running due to heat and twingy hips

Tuesday:

Biked to work
Biked to gym
Worked out with trainer (see below)
Biked home
Attempted to run
Quit 3.5 AWFUL miles in
Even the company of Sky, ranting about politics and economics and philosophy couldn't save this run

The Workout:

Warm up stretches:  Inch worm, frog walk, high knees

For time (8:15 or 8:50, I was too busy dying to listen properly):
50 wall balls
25 hanging knee raises
40 wall balls
20 hanging knee raises
30 wall balls
15 hanging knee raises
20 wall balls
10 hanging knee raises
10 wall balls
5 hanging knee raises

After I recovered from dying, we moved on.

x4
15 squat rows
10 machine incline chest presses

x3
15 (per side) low to high wood choppers

=============

Um.  So.  Yeah.

I'm taking a firm grip on my diet.  I started that yesterday, but had a frustrating go at it.  I complained to my trainer that while I was physically full, I still felt STARVING.  He made me go over everything I ate, and chided me for not getting enough fat.  I should have realized that.  For a smart person, I can be glaringly dumb sometimes.  So now I'm armed with pork rinds and walnuts, and today will be a better day.  I suggested I just drink olive oil every morning (and I'm not the first person to come up with this idea), but my trainer laughed at me.  He does that a lot.  If I didn't like him and trust him so much that would probably bother me.

I need to get my head in the game.  What game?  I don't know.  I don't have a goal race.  Well, I do have a goal race.  For a different goal.  I have a half marathon, and I have a goal time for that.  And I have a duathlon, and my goal is just to do better.  The half marathon training I can shoe horn in to my trainer's training schedule.  Fitting biking in is the problem.  Maybe I need to cycle (HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA) the bike training.  20 miles one week, 50 the next, so I'm not always fretting about the bike, but I am laying down road.

Okay, I'm four weeks away from the second du.  I don't know if this is good or bad.  The more time I spend on the bike, the easier the bike is, so if I can keep what I'm doing, I think by default I'll have a much better ride.  But that feels too soon to start having off bike weeks.  Like last week.  With no biking.  And I've been sort of allowing biking to work to be enough.  And while it DOES get me on the road, it's lots of starting and stopping over 6 miles, which isn't going to translate well to GO GO GO for 19 miles.  I'm not sure doing longer rides on the trainer is sufficient for that either.  But I'm REALLY not sure I can squeeze some long road rides outs and not have everything fall to shit.  It's only a few hours a day, but sometimes it feels so frantic and frenzied, even though none of it is.

I think a light bulb just went off over my head.

So, when I have a lot to do at work and my desk is messy, things just get super overwhelming.  I freak out a little bit.  And then I take the time to organize my desk and write out a list of all my tasks, and it's so much easier to deal with, and not overwhelming at all.

My new training schedule is not concrete.  It's just mileage ranges each day.  Some days are 0-3 miles.  Some are 6-8 miles.  A week of mileage ranges.  Maybe do some speed work on one day.  Whatever you want!  And then the misty idea that I should be biking at some point, too.

No wonder I feel overwhelmed.  There's shit, everywhere, and it's freaking me out.  I'd probably function better if each week I nailed down what I was doing each day for that week.  As best I can.  My trainer can meet me some days for speed work, depending on his other clients.  My brother borrows my car when he game, so sometimes I have to bike to work, which I love, but my hips don't love it.  But, I think this will help.

Today is Wednesday.  I'm supposed to do 2-4 miles.  If I do speed work with my trainer today liked planned, I'll get in 2 miles of 400ms (plus rest, but that's walking, so I need to not count it).

Thursday I have a session with my trainer, and need to get 6-8 miles in.

Friday is rest day.  Fuck yeah.

Saturday is 10.5 miles.  Sunday is a max of 2 miles.  I cut yesterday's run short by 2.5-4.5 miles, so part of me feels like I should make that up on Sunday, but I don't think the legs work that way.  If I fuck up my hips while still building my base, I'm a raging moron.

Okay, I feel better.

Here is a picture of me with my bike:






7 comments:

  1. Wait, you sleep with a HRM? Is that a thing? Can it tell if you're having a nightmare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate what you said about being tolerant of someone you liked when he did something annoying. It's like that. Someone can irritate you beyond description, by doing nothing, if you are already predisposed to be annoyed. But if you like someone? The sky is the limit. (Not Sky, sky) As always, I enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was A LOT of thoughts!! HAHAHAHA!! You have a nice bike by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well based on all you've got going on in that head of yours, I'm not suprised you are having trouble sleeping. Dang girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drinking olive oil with breakfast is totally legit. However, make sure you have access to a bathroom for a hile. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea, I still get up at 6 every morning even though I work from home and have no real set start time. It just helps me get the day rolling. I'm still a night owl at heart and usually don't get to sleep before 11:30 either, so that's not good. I should go to bed earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's why having a trainer must be awesome. So they can see the piece you're missing. As for the plan, I can see the lack of structure getting in your way.

    ReplyDelete