Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Flip Flops Count As Minimalist Shoes, Right?

My brother recently bought a house.  He's also carless.  So, he borrows me car pretty often to make runs to Home Depot and stuff.  I have no problem with this because he's always good at making sure I have the car when I need it, and I'm pretty good at improvising.

So when he borrowed my car and dropped me off at work yesterday morning, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  I had 2 miles on my training plan (I don't know why.  It's not my job to question my plan.).  My trainer lives about 2 miles from my office.  My brother was going to pick me up after my workout.

Why is this worth writing up?



Because this moron forgot her workout shoes.

Fuck.

I had a few stupid options.  And I may have picked the stupidest one, because I jogged two miles in flip flops.

It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Nothing hurt.  I didn't get any blisters.  I mean, it was only two miles.  I was prepared to walk if I needed to.  But, I didn't need to.

2 miles @ 8:23



My trainer walked in the gym, looked at my feet, at looked back at me like I was the dumbest person on the planet.  I explained what happened and his expression didn't change.  I guess I earned that.

The Workout

x2
10 inch worms (focusing on pushing my heels down and keeping my back arched)
20 single leg roman deadlifts

x2
20 lunges with chest twists
20 squats

x5
20 kettlebell swings (40lbs)
20 second rope slams
20 seconds rest

x3
10 rope climbs
10 chest to the floor push ups

The workout started off bad.  The inch worms were difficult.  My flexibility is always an issue, and always has been.  Keeping my back properly arch limited my range of motion so much it made me feel stupid.  And I was so frustrated I was taking it out on my trainer.

"If you want to hit your goals we're going to need to work harder" he chided me.  I nodded, but started to complain/explain (how frequently I try to pretend the latter is the former).  He cut me off.  "Do you want me to make you cry today?"  I shook my head and got back to work.

I know that sounds harsh, but it the moment, it was what needed to be said.  The rest of the workout was great.  It was exhausting, but felt good.

Once I got home and clean I threw on compression shorts and socks, because while I don't understand the science, shit feels good, yo.



Both companies have been very good to me, so I'm going to pimp them out.  Pro Compression in their new orange. Aspaeris Pivot shorts.  Both companies are super supportive of bloggers and teams who do relay races, which is pretty rad.  And both companies have, as far as I've experienced, awesome customer service and highly interactive employees.  I'm not saying you should purchase compression gear, and no one asked me to right this here today, but if you are in the market for compression stuff, both companies seem like solid small companies that are worth supporting.  /pimping

I have very low key plans for the 4th.  We have plans to hang out with our friends Marla and Andrew and make gourmet s'mores and ignore fireworks.  Trying to drive anywhere in Los Angeles the evening of the 4th sucks megaballs.  So, we're going to try to avoid that.  Thrilling shit, right?

7 comments:

  1. The flip-flop thing? Hilarious. And the fact that you refer to 8:23 as jogging? Also hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you ran two miles in flip-flops. You are insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you averaged 8:23 in flip flops.

    We spent the day floating the river, and now I have no desire to go anywhere tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to get that flip flop company to sponsor you. Old Navy?? I can see you in an Old Navy commercial. HAHAHA!!

    Shit does feel good yo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I have run any length in flip-flops (like, half a mile - tops) I end up with sore calves the next day. So much toe-squeezing to keep the damn things on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you still got in your workout. hungover on the week's second monday yesterday, no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to the commenting game here, but I LOVE compression socks!! And Pro Compression?? SO lovely. Like a nice hug on my calves!

    ReplyDelete