Monday, March 14, 2011

Mini Goal Monday: Preperation Edition



Friday at 9pm I will be in Corona, CA, starting my 24 hour ultramarathon. OH GOD.

So, my goals this week are all about preparation.

1. Gather up things I will consume, including a case of coconut water, a crap ton of diet coke, some bananas, a jar of peanut butter, a few bottles of pepto (my stomach does not like early mornings), and a map to the nearest burger joint (running Rose loooooooooooove cold hamburgers).

2. Gather up my first aid kit. All things blister and chafe prevention. Sunscreen. Muscle relief stuff. Pain stuff. Note to self: Look online to see what else.

3. Gather up gear. Figure out what to wear, and how often I'll change. Changing up the outfit might be fun. I have cold weather pants that will be good for the overnight portion. Shorts for the day. Different tops to provide different support. A hat. Decide what kind of socks I want to wear, and how many to bring. Gather up all my shoes.

4. Prepare the entertainment. Figure out the best way to deal with my dying Nano, charge up my old shuffle, put audio books on the husband's ipod, put podcasts on the phone.

5. Prepare the additional electronics. Make sure I have all the cords and cables to charge all the electronics, plus the hardware to charge everything from my car battery. Figure out which laptop to bring, and make sure it has everything on it that I need.

6. Prepare post run kit. Pajama pants. Mountain of sleeping bags in the car. Flip flops. Compression socks.

7. Prepare extras. Figure out what costumes I plan on bringing to liven things up and keep myself entertained. Decide if I want to run laps in a wedding dress.

-------------------

How do you prep for a big race?

Am I missing anything?

25 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh this is gonna be so fun! i wish i was there! you have to take sooo many freakin pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, my pre-race prep has never involved a wedding dress, that's for sure, ha ha! You are awesome! I've only don't tiny 5ks, but I lay out my outfit with bib attached to shirt, Garmin/ipod charging, cell phone and tissues ready. Key to car off chain. That's about it- oh and alarms set :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always bring band aid and put them on the spots on my feet that blister the easiet. Then usually I can come out blister free with some band aids and wearing 2 pairs of socks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot come out typo free from a comment, however. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not so sure on those cold burgers, but whatever works, right? It sounds like you have a comprehensive list going--most important, that post-race comfy kit. Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Body Glide! Lots, and lots of Body Glide. Can't wait to see the pictures from this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW dude an ultra?! Good LORD. You are a far braver woman than I.

    I can't wait to read your recap! I've always wondered what it's like to run an ultra. (Not that I will ever in a million years do it...far too much of a chicken)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dont forget to pack the High 5's!!!!
    Dude you are so awesome, here I am thinking " Weeee Im running LA M. on sunday" and here you are awesome pants debating a wedding dress for a part of you ONE FREAKING HUNDRED MILES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Peaceful Mountain "Muscle Ice" RULES

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh God, I hadn't even really thought about the iPod issue. You need friends to lend you theirs when they come to do their shifts!

    And thanks for reminding me about the stumptuous article. I've worked off that before, but I should probably add some of that stuff into my workouts if I'm serious about this. Maybe when you're done with this weekend (and your recovery!) we can do a pullups challenge. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, GOOD LUCK!!!! This is quite an accomplishment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are crazy and awesome! I can't even imagine prepping for a race this big

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wedding dress is an awesome idea hahaha!

    Make sure to bring a camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The longest race I have run is a marathon, but I swear, wearing some sort of compression during the race is very important. Also, there are some new compression sleeves (for your legs) that have special ice packs for your shin and calf, fitting into the pockets. Good luck!!! It sounds like a crazy race! Can't wait to hear what 100 miles feels like... -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha vagina belt! you are so funny! I love it!!

    The only thing I can think of is an extra hair tie!!! I don't think you wrote that up there!! Good luck at your race!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck getting ready! I hope you do run in the wedding dress and provide lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't forget the bodyglide. You don't want to deal with rubbing for 24 hours! I can't wait to see how this goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, a 24 hour race. Awesome! Can't wait to read the RR.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooooo big week!
    I prep by amassing a pile of stuff throughout the week as i think of it. Bib goes on the shirt, etc the night before.
    You're gonna be so great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I live right near Corona and had no idea that there was a local Ultra. Very cool! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy Guacamole. Regarding #1, seems you will need some more complex carbs. I suggest EFS LS by First Endurance. It doesn't have gelling agents and should be easy on your tummy.

    Go go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So excited for you! It sounds seriously insane/awesome. I would probably take half of my wardrobe. It sounds like you have everything covered, maybe towels and 3 sticks of deodorant for personal hygiene.
    Can't wait to read your account!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay Rose!! So wishing you the best this weekend!! Or at least Friday at 9 a.m.-Saturday at 9 a.m.

    A tub-o-ice might be a consideration post run--it could double as a cooler??

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to hear about this race! Please tell us in detail everything that you used or wished that you had so I can make sure I'm prepared for my trail 50K in June :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your blog!! Good luck on your Ultra!!

    ReplyDelete